KOSAMARE aims to study, raise awareness and protect the local marine ecosystem and endangered marine species:
- Scientific Diving Courses : to teach underwater measuring and sampling techniques used in the monitoring and study of a key Mediterranean ecosystem (practice collecting data on Posidonia oceanica ecosystem).
- Study, awareness & preservation of the endangered marine mammal, the Mediterranean Monk Seal (Monachus monachus), in collaboration with international network for its protection (IUCN, Octopus Foundation, Thetys Institute, Ionian Dolphin Project).
- Educating local population and visiting tourists about the marine environment through exhibits and information posters, school visits, leaflets, conferences, and so on.
- Provision of local logistical & human resources for data collection for national and international scientific missions whose purpose is to study, promote or preserve the Mediterranean ecosystem.
- Organising cleaning campaigns: of both the harbour and neighbouring beaches – with help from volunteers, tourists and locals.
- Wildlife/Animal Rescue – terrestrial and marine.
- Monitoring invasive species in the Ionian Sea, and their impact on the local environment